Thursday, June 26, 2008

R16 - Freewill

Each of us
A cell of awareness
Imperfect and incomplete
Genetic blends
With uncertain ends
On a fortune hunt that's far too fleet

I started reading "Anthem" last night, my first foray into the books of Ayn Rand (and quite honestly, probably my last. I can't commit to 800 pages). It seems to me that you can trace the fading influence of her thought on Neil Peart pretty easily. "Fly By Night" (containing the song 'Anthem') and "2112" were it's apex. "Farewell to Kings" could be seen as disillusion with great men when they abuse power or fail to live up their positions. "Hemispheres" recognizes the limits of objective thought when it's not tempered by feeling, by emotion. With "Permanent Waves" there begins a real shift toward an understanding that there is a valuable place for "we" along with "I". If each of us are a "cell of awareness", that means together we make up one complete entity of some sort?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home