Thursday, April 21, 2016

Brain atrophy

I haven't thought a decent thought in a very long time.  I'm afraid it's from disuse.  I thought doing some writing may wake the grey matter up.  I like to blame my job, or allergies, or simply being tired, but it's probably more about being lazy, and needing to break out of bad habits.  One step forward, several back.  I'll see if this helps.

So, without an interesting or original thought to write about, I'll just mention that I'm listening to Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony.  In my reading on symphonies, the 4th had some interesting features - clever key relationships in the first movement, along with a differentiation between thematic second subject and harmonic second subject - ie. second theme is in one key, but proper key for second subject is only arrived at later.  Plus the 2nd and 3rd movements are beautiful and fun in turn.  Once I listen a few times, maybe I'll have something original to add.

Also, of late I've decided I need to swing more.  And not just in my playing.  I figure, if I don't swing, my playing won't swing.  Let's see how that all goes.

Hopefully I'll be back soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home