Sunday, June 12, 2005

I *heart* NY

It seems that every time I have the chance to spend a little bit of time away from the NYC area, I have the same thoughts. "This is lovely! But I've got to be getting home now."

It's wonderful to see that there are pure, unspoiled locales. That life can be simple. And it makes me wonderfully happy to get away from that and get back to the heart of civilization.

Of course, I'm not back within the confines of NY 10 minutes before I'm cursing the traffic, damning the inconsiderate, and bitching about overcrowding. But I guess I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm certainly not ambivalent in my feelings, though I suppose I am conflicted. Perhaps I just love to complain.

It's similar to the feeling I have when walking around a bookstore. Being surrounded by great ideas, I'm inspired to try and raise myself up as best I can. Being around the energy, the aggression, the congestion, the glorious struggle to achieve on the greatest stage, I'm inspired to "do". To try and achieve. To produce "something". When I'm out in great, open spaces I don't feel the same thing. While I love the chance to commune with nature, and would love to be able to spend more time close to animals, it doesn't provide me with the same buzz.

I suppose it's just something in my makeup. One of my most vivid memories as a child is coming out of the subway station into Times Square the very first time, and the awe, the sheer awe that I felt then. I still feel it, every time. Being outside the city will always be a diversion for me, it can never truly be my way of life.

I suppose I could manage some other city, and I often think about it. But I'm clearly meant to be an urban dweller, not someone who can survive in a rural atmosphere. Where are the 24 hour delis? Where are the used book stores? Where do you get an umbrella when it starts to rain?

I may like visiting those rural locales, but I *HEART* NY!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home