Friday, December 16, 2005

That's what I said!

NEW YORK -
Morgan Freeman says the concept of a month dedicated to black history is "ridiculous." "You're going to relegate my history to a month?" the 68-year-old actor says in an interview on CBS' "60 Minutes" to air Sunday (7 p.m. EST). "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051216/
ap_en_ce/people_morgan_freeman_5


Addendum - Not having seen this interview yet (since it hasn't aired yet, as far as I know) I based my understanding of what Mr. Freeman meant on the article linked to above. It seems that either I completely misunderstood what he was getting at, or all the folks jumping all over him are in error as to just what point he was making.

I took his statement to mean that Black history should not be relegated to a single month of study, but that the Black American experience was worthy of inclusion in American history. It seems that many people have taken his meaning as there's no need for a Black history month because there's no real separate issue to study.

I have never before so strongly believed that there IS a very different history to be told by Black America, and that it has to be understood and integrated into American history in order for us, as a nation, to reach a deeper understanding of who we are.

I guess I'll have to watch the interview to find out how he meant his comments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home