Friday, April 14, 2006

The Greatest Year for Rock Lead Guitar?

In my opinion there are only 2 possible years that could earn this distinction. 1969 or 1978. Now, I can't equivocate in terms of importance or influence - 1969 would win hands down. Especially if you add in 1968 (even adding 1979 to balance it out). But I have to say, in terms of QUANTITY and QUALITY - I have to give the nod to 1978. Your thoughts?

1969
Led Zep I AND Led Zep II
Santana (debut)
Jeff Beck Group - Beck-Ola
Cream - Goodbye
Fleetwood Mac - Then Play On
Frank Zappa - Uncle Meat AND Hot Rats

OK, I may be on thin ground, but I'm holding out for 1978. Here's what just missed the cut - they came out in 1968.

1968
Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
Cream - Wheels of Fire
Jeff Beck Group - Truth (if this record had come out in '69, I would have to give the nod to that year, but alas it didn't).

Now, before I get to my main argument for 1978, here's what bookends it.

1977
Steely Dan - Aja
Santana - Moonflower
UFO - Light Out

1979
Pat Travers - Live-Go For What You Know
AC/DC - Highway to Hell
Scorpions - Lovedrive
Thin Lizzy - Black Rose

OK, now for the core list. Remember, we're just talking LEAD GUITAR. Just guitar, nothing else.

1978
UK - with Holdsworth
The Who - Who Are You (surely Pete's finest hour in terms of lead guitar, no?)
AC/DC - Powerage
Dire Straits (not a favorite of mine, but...)
Journey - Infinity
REO Speedwagon - You Can Tune a Piano, But You Can't Tuna Fish
Rainbow - Long Live Rock and Roll
Gary Moore - Back on the Streets
Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous
UFO - Obsession AND Strangers In The Night (this is, to me, the lead guitar One-Two punch that balances out LZ I & II)
Van Halen

Have I made my point? Any years I'm missing that might contend? Anything I've missed? You can check here:

http://www.oldielyrics.com/years.html

4 Comments:

At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget all the great air guitar of the Eagles - that might be 1975 or 1976 and Hotel California. Otherwise I agree Led Zep all the way!

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger vm said...

Hotel Cali was from '76. A good year, certainly a contender. "No Heavy Petting" by UFO, "Private Eyes" by Tommy Bolin, "Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers", Thin Lizzy "Jailbreak", "Songs in the Key of Life" (not a guitar record, but omigod), "The Royal Scam" by Steely Dan, Skynyrds live record (I know, I know), "Boston". Impressive.

But I think I'd have to lean to 1976 if it were either. Queen "Night at the Opera", Clapton "E.C. Was Here", Kiss "Alive!", LZ "Physical Graffiti", Michael Bolton's "Forever Michael" (KIDDING, JUST KIDDING!!), Floyd "Wish You Were Here", Santana "Lotus", Tommy Bolin "Teaser", UFO "Force It".

Really - '67-80, you could almost pick any year and make a case for it. I still have to stick with '78, unless I can be persuaded otherwise.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger vm said...

Oh yeah, 1975 - Jeff Beck "Blow by Blow", 1976 "Wired". The stuff from the second paragraph in preceding post are all from '75, not 76. So when you add in Blow by Blow, 75 gets the nod over 76.

Can you tell I'm bored?

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger vm said...

And what year did "Derringer Live" come out? Lance?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home